Thank you!

dbens23(4)May 20, 2012

In 2008 I was asked by a disabled lady to pick apples for her from her 100 year old orchard of about 20 apple trees. It seemed like an easy request, but when I went to the orchard I found the trees had not been pruned in decades and all the apples were 20 to 30 feet above me. During the next few years I pruned the orchard, which led me to investigate the varieties of apples in the orchard. Some of the varieties I have ID'd are Jonathon, McIntosh, Wagener, Wealthy, Winter Banana, and Wolf River. I have now begun to investigate the rich history of apple orchards in this area (NE Washington State).

After researching the many antique varieties I just had to try them. This led me to grafting and exchanging scions with fellow apple lovers around the country.

I want to thank the many truly nice people I have met through this addicting hobby: Fruitgrower, Wildforager, IM Red, Markmnt, bberry, Harvestman, Nimzo, Xentar, and I'm sure I've forgotten others. Thank you for all you've done for me and I appologize for small or substandard scions I may have sent you. Please know I always try to send the best I have.

I have started my own orchard of about 20 apple trees. Having a 100 year old orchard to play with has advantages for a novice grafter. I'm able to put multiple grafts of each new variety on the old trees so that if I do have failures (and I do) one of the scions will survive. I always label each graft with an aluminum marker and I also have a map of both orchards with the varieties on each tree listed. Right now I have over 60 new varieties of scions grafted on these trees.

Once again, thank you for all your help!

dbens23

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

dbens, I'm sure I speak for others when I say that "The pleasure was mine". Fact is, the scions you sent me were far and away better than the ones I sent you. (And by the way, I should be able to send you Prairie Spy next year. I hope you find it to be as fine an apple as I do.)

Best, and thanks,

Mark

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Help, fuzzy scion wood
Hi all, I got apple scions from ARS last week and was...
zendog
pls recommend
Experienced Fruit Tree Growers, I suspect that all...
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™