Where to find Gariguette strawberry plants in US?

mprats(z6NJ Plainfield)May 31, 2009

During a trip to France I tasted a delicious variety of strawberry called Gariguette. I have tried searching for plants of this variety here in the U.S. to no avail. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluespiritartist(5A)

I do not know about that variety but I know that in France, Mignonette is very favored for using in pasteries and deserts. Could it be a new variety that Mignonette was used to cross? I am working on crossing Pineapple Crush alpine with Mignonette....wont know the outcome for awhile yet.

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 7:53AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I don't think that variety has been imported. The Gariguette is being replaced by Mara des Bois by many growers in France. Mara des Bois is available from a few sources in the US and is similar: small and flavorful.

Scott

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 8:22AM
djofnelson(7ACtrlVAfoothills)

I've got some Mara des Bois that are just about to start bearing (purchased based on Scott's praise). I bought them from Wicked Wilds this spring. They were sold out last year, but they might still have some plants left. WW was cheaper than the only other source I could find (white flower farm), but 20 plants are $40 and they only ship fedex, which is another $20 (although their packaging including a cooler and ice packs is impressive).

Here is a link that might be useful: Wicked Wilds

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 9:00AM
mprats(z6NJ Plainfield)

Wow, thank you so much for all the information! I will certainly try Mara des Bois as an alternative. I appreciate all the help!

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™