do you use a respirator/face mask while using surround

lycheeluva(6/7)May 12, 2012

just wondering whether i should be using a face mask or a respirator when spraying surround on my trees or when thinning fruit in the trees after i have sprayed surround on the trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

Lychee, I never thought to use any protection the few times I used Surround; I found it obnoxious after it was applied because of the texture, but I didn't experience a dusty quality, and of course chemically it's very inert (it's clay and pretty dense). Of course it goes on wet, so dust isn't an issue during application.

But it's worth considering whether the dust might be dangerous if inhaled in quantity. I doubt it myself, unless one smokes (because smoking destroys the cilia that provide the first line of defense against such things) but even then I have to wonder whether it's any worse than the many country roads I've driven on. It's not like asbestos or those kinds of things, to the best of my knowledge.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 9:45PM
alan haigh

The active ingredient in Surround is also the active ingredient in Maalox. I agree with MN that you might want to use a dust mask in breezy conditions while mixing, but that's about it.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 6:23AM
lycheeluva(6/7)

THANKS for the response guys. i had the same question about working with turface. any thougts anyone?

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™