No Fruits on Montmorency Cherry

jollyrd(Richmond VA)May 24, 2012

Our beloved Montmorency Cherry (we've had it for 3 seasons now) has no fruit on it. I found ONE green cherry on the entire tree. Last 2 seasons it gave us 3-4 cups of fruit. It is healthy, was pruned, fertilized, and there is plenty of new growth. No sickness signs, no meldew, no rot spots. It had flowers on in early spring. What is the deal? What would cause zero fertilization? We are just south of Richmond, VA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Maybe you had a killing frost? It was a rough spring for frosts.

Scott

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 9:55PM
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

I am guessing but our very warm winter may created a negative chill hour effect during the hot days.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 6:41AM
ltilton

That could account for this year, but not years in a row of the same pattern in a bearing-age tree.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 8:16AM
austransplant(MD 7)

I had the same thing happen on a similarly aged Montmorecy tree a couple of years ago. I don't really know the cause. I don't think it was frost, since my North Star cherry and other fruit trees did just fine. Nor was it lack of pollination, since I have three hives of honey bees and a large population of orchard bees. Two hypotheses come to mind: (1) a heavy crop the previous year led to a very light crop the following year; (2) the tree needs pruning to encourage a larger crop. I have only minimally pruned my Montmorency cherry. To be honest, I don't really have a good grasp on how to prune a cherry tree. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 9:36AM
jollyrd(Richmond VA)

well, I did prune it before it bloomed (I always prune it and use the same guidelines every year, nothing different this year); it did bloom plenty of flowers; I saw a decent amount of bees and other bugs flying around it; it has a very healthy green top with new growth; but only ONE FRUIT?

http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/video/prunedemo.htm
This is a good demo on pruning apple tree - but it helps get an idea for any orchard tree;

You can probably search Youtube for video demo -- people post good stuff there

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™