dead or just impatient?

eciton(zone 7)May 15, 2012

So I bought some fruit trees from Meadow Farms in Va, potted but dormant. 2 apples, fuji and gala, 2 nectarine, and 2 asian pear.

i pruned per instructions except for the nectarine as I read I was supposed to wait until the buds swell to prune...

anyhow, that was 6 weeks ago. now the apple trees each have 2 small leaves and nothing else does. the wood still feels green but I would have thought that they would have at least begun to leaf out?

so, are they on their way out or am i just impatient? :)

thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmbill(6a)

My guess is that you just have the two apples. Six weeks should be enough to get things started, although several years ago I got a nectarine (bare root) and it started growing leaves in the middle of the summer. It died anyway. I guess just too late a start to make it thru the winter. Good luck.
Bill

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:08PM
eciton(zone 7)

turns out i was so impatient that i got my dates wrong, they have actually only been in the ground 4 weeks.

that being said, my grapes that were planted 2 weeks after are almost a foot tall now.

is it too late to uproot these and start over... i'm in zone 6

thanks!

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:21PM
ABz5b

Nectarines and peaches in my experience do better when planted early. The earlier the better in my experience.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:35PM
eciton(zone 7)

so looks like the pears have leafed out nicely by now and the nectarines are just breaking buds. we shall see how they do but both were fairly aggressively pruned and the buds are leafing well. perhaps they will do ok?

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™