Captan With Oil/Sticker

rambleMay 1, 2012

I understand you can't use Captan with oil or a sticker/spreader. Label says so, I believe. Don't know why though.

My question is can I use a little Dawn dishwashing liquid as a sticker with Captan?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strobiculate

Captan is a penetrant. it is that characterisric that makes it problematic in tank mixes.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 10:15PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Yes you can use dish soap. It says so on the directions for Captan. Its in the last page somewhere. It says to use it on plants such as roses that are hard to "stick". Just use a few drops.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 12:58AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

The problem with Captan is that like other fungicides with multiple modes of action, it can be phytotoxic to the foliage.

The reason not to use it w/ sticker/spreaders is that they typically have some penetrating action. Captan is generally fine if it sits on the surface of the leaves, it's when it enters the leaf tissue that it can cause damage. A penetrant will carry Captan into the leaf tissue.

Oil is also a penetrant and can cause damage when used with Captan. Oil can even be phytotoxic by itself, so should definitely not be used with Captan.

Captan probably doesn't need a sticker/spreader. It stays on fairly good in rain by itself. When it does wash off, it's noted for its re-distributive properties (i.e. it washes onto new foliage).

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™