Glyphosate vs. Mulberry Tree

ShenandoahJoe(6)May 20, 2012

A farmhand got a bit carried away, and rounded-up (round-upped?) one side of my mulberry tree. All the leaves are dead, about two feet back from the tips on that side.

Is the tree in danger? What should I do to keep the poison from hurting the rest of the tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Not much you can do at this point. You'll have to wait until the tree "tells" you what will happen next.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 12:25AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Joe,

It depends on the size of the tree. Glyphosate will generally do an excellent job killing young trees if all the foliage is covered. Larger trees can tolerate it more.

It's a good sign that foliage is only dead on one side. Since glyphosate is systemic, it's likely the tree didn't absorb enough to kill it, else all the foliage would be dead.

It will help some if you keep the tree well watered. That's a slight antidote to glyphosate. Just don't water the tree so much the roots start to rot, otherwise you'll compound the problem.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 9:05AM
ShenandoahJoe(6)

Thanks, Olpea. I'll take any good news I can get. It's rained three days in a row, so I may be in good shape.

This tree is about 20 years old, and would have been about 15 feet tall. But it got halfway knocked down in a storm so all the branches are easy to reach. It would be difficult to replace, to say the least.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™