Which southern highbush blueberry varieties display fall color?

julia.scheidtMay 29, 2014

Are they all evergreen?
Is there a particular southern highbush variety that you think has a nice fall foliage?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
molex

Most southern highbush blueberries hold onto their leaves over winter in mild climates. My Jewels and Sweetcrisp both drop yellow leaves in the fall for the most part. Two years ago Jewel held onto 50% of its leaves here in NYC, during that mild winter. Last year, no leaves on any blueberry in my yard.

My Northern highbush do put on a show in the fall. Northland, Darrow, Duke, Legacy all show brilliant fall colors.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 12:23AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Legacy is considered a southern highbush, so it is one that displays colors. Parentage: 'Elizabeth' x US75 (Vaccinium darrowi,'Florida 4B', x 'Bluecrop')

South Moon I think also is a colorful SHB.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, May 30, 14 at 4:27

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 4:26AM
molex

TIL, interesting, My legacy is young 3yrs it tries to hold on to some leaves, never knew why, now I do ;p

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 12:42PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

The distinctions become blurred with plants like Legacy. SHB are hybrids themselves. Legacy, and South Moon and others are hardy in the colder zones too, so they are showing more of their NHB genes.
I have NHB Liberty, Toro, and Chandler. I can't remember what Chandler looks like in fall? But the former two are awesome for colors, and they are good plants. I like the berries too!

I have Car'a Choice, and well I have no idea what it is?
These plants have been crossed and recrossed so many times....

CARA'S CHOICE is a progeny from the cross G-144 x US 165. G-144 originated from the cross 11-93 (a sibling of 'Bluecrop') x 'Darrow'. US 165 is a self of US 79, a hybrid of the diploid species Vaccinium darrowii 'Fla 4B' x US 56. US 56 originated from a cross of hexaploid V.constablaei x T-65. T-65 is a rabbiteye hybrid from the cross of 'Walker' x 11-180 (= 'Myers' x 'Black Giant'). The cross that produced CARA'S CHOICE was made by A.D. Draper at Beltsville, Maryland in approximately 1977. (note it was released in 2000).
One of the breeders involved in this cross Dr. Mark Ehlenfeldt said it is his favorite blueberry.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, May 30, 14 at 13:19

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Need help choosing dwarf fruit trees.
These trees will be planted at my own Indianapolis...
URES
Wanted: Black Ice plum --) swap
Edit This post was edited by Gardening_Maestro on Tue,...
Gardening_Maestro
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™