moving 5 week old grapevines?

eciton(zone 7)May 20, 2012

so i planted 10 vines in an area inside my "orchard fence". i planned on trellising each of them individually based on a design i saw that had 2 T posts driven into the ground with another T post bolted across the top - then 3 or 4 wires were run between the 2 vert posts.

this way I could orient them all North/South and I had thought that was best.

now... i'm rethinking and perhaps I would be better off trellising them off my actual wire fence that is supported by 4x4 and 6x6's.

they have broken buds and are now have about 12'' of new growth. I can stick with my orig plan if I'm going to kill them by moving but if i can move them it will save me both $$ and space inside the fenced area

thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
backyardener(z6 Idaho)

What was the condition of the vines when you planted them? Bare root? Potted? Cuttings? If they were bare root or potted, I think they will probably survive the move if you are able to be careful with the roots. If they were just cuttings, then the roots are very fragile and moving them will cause them more harm.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 12:47PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I wouldn't move them unless they were potted, and even then I'd think twice. I have killed too many things trying this. Blueberries are the only thing I have found easy to move when leafed out.

What I would do is plan the new layout and move them this fall as they go dormant.

Scott

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 2:59PM
eciton(zone 7)

9 out of 10 are flourishing right now...having made about 2' of new growth. i have since decided to not relocate the vines but to create 2 trellises that run approx NS and EW to hang all the vines. I figure im not a commercial outfit so a little difference in orientation isnt going to hurt anything.

question though, I replanted one vine a week after planting and amended my clay soil with compost and good garden dirt for that one vine.....it is the one that seems to be dying... ideas?

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 9:37PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

There isn't much you can do, its probably a goner. If it has leaves it sometimes can help to remove all the new growth and just keep the more mature leaves, it will not be sinking energy into growth. I had a graft partly fail this spring and I pruned off all the new shoots and it finally is recovering.

Scott

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™