Pruning Grape Vines

lawanddisorder(6)May 6, 2013

I have a 2 year old seedless concord grape vine and don't know how many buds to leave on it.

I pruned it in very early spring before the buds broke, and now it has a ton of new growth starting and I don't know how much to leave.

I've heard you need to base it off of the weight of the vine you pruned (30 buds for first pound, and 10 for every additional pound), but I only pruned a small amount as I got the plant late last summer and it was small.

There was one grape bunch last year and I am hoping to get more this year, but obviously, I shouldn't leave every single bud on the vine. How many buds should I leave on it?

It's in a huge pot with a tall trellis in it and the main vine is approx. 5 feet tall with a few smaller vines coming off of it. All of these are covered in what I think are buds and new green leafy growth.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

It's not how many canes you leave that's most important, but rather how many clusters of fruit. The more foliage you leave the more fruit it can support. So leave as many canes as seems appropriate. But thin off some of the clusters if there are more than about 10. I first thin off the smaller of the two clusters that are often on each cane. Then thin more off if that seems appropriate.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:23PM
lawanddisorder(6)

Thanks Fruitnut,

So, should I be able to see the fruit clusters yet? Will the fruit be on the new growth from this year, or on the one year old growth from last year?

Thanks

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:30PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

You can see the clusters after the new shoot grows 6-8 inches. The cluster or often two clusters will be at about the 4-5 th leaf axil.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™