grapes and strawberries

Sweetybyrd(7)May 22, 2012

I purchased two grape plants (one green & one red/purple) at a local grocery store three years ago. Currently they are in a huge pot because I have been waiting to see if they will amount to anything. So far they grow bigger every year and this year I see tiny little cluster of what I am assuming will be grapes. Can anyone give me any direction on how to help these guys amount to much more?

Also I purchased strawberries two years ago from cottage farms. Well lets just say I have tons of the plants to go round but none produce strawberries. These are pink flowering. And a strawberry plant I purchased at a local grocery store (white flowering)is lacking in flavor, no sweet smell or taste to them. Again these are growing like wild and these actually produce a bit of strawberries but I am looking for a good variety. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Looking for something red through and through, with a sweet strawberry flavor and a little strawberry scent wouldn't hurt. Though the scent probably has nothing to do with anything.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myk1(5 IL)

Assuming it's not too late, put the grapes in the ground. Grapes have huge root systems.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 12:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

A 3 year old grape vine will produce grapes, even in a container, and if you must keep them contained, increase the size of the container next time they go dormant.

I have several in ground and more contained. They grow like crazy, but the ones in the ground do best! I have one that is 4 years old, in ground, and for fun this year I let it climb that palm tree that it has wanted to clime every year. It's almost past the trunk and into the palm fronds!

The grapes only fruit on new shoots, so it's important to leave part of this years canes for next years fruit. The longer you let the canes grow, the more leaves you get, and the better the root system can support the clusters. Pruning is important because by cutting the canes back, the vine uses it's stored energy to produce fruit to insure it's kind will be on this earth for coming years.

Not sure about your strawberries.
Suzi

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 7:41AM
More Discussions
Looking for Carmine Jewel Cherries?
I know a lot of people are looking for carmine jewel...
clarkinks
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Sponsored Products
Meyda Grape Accent Lamp
Overstock.com
Provencal Purples Swivel Counter Height Bar Stool (26"H Seat)
$449.00 | FRONTGATE
15 x 11 Butterfly Accent Lamp
$171.00 | Bellacor
Grape Harvest Lido Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Terni Cinnamon 8' Round
Home Depot
Blue Grapes Jacquard Tea Towel - Set of Two
$21.99 | zulily
Vineyard Frame with Mirror
Signature Hardware
Grape Tabletop Champagne Stand