What pest is next?

tedgrowsit(6b PA)May 22, 2012

I just got done thinning my apples a few days ago. What I have left are some fairly nice looking apples, not perfect, a few curculio scars. The last few years I have been bagging my apples, generally at an earlier stage than they are right now. Is there more pest pressure ahead, or are we pretty much in the clear at this point? I know some here advocate a couple of early sprays, then no more, getting pretty decent usable fruit. At this point should I bother to bag my apples? Should I spray more? I live in South East Pennsylvania. My apples are getting close to quarter size. Thanks, Ted

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Ted, the second generation of codling moth is going to hatch in a few weeks. PC is pretty much done for the year other than the occasional feeding scar. I usually have a big problem with 2nd generation CM if I don't do anything, but I am not using heavy-duty poisons, so that may have something to do with it.

Scott

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 6:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planatus(6)

The spring drop is on the ground this morning. Gotta get it picked up this week. In my area, apple maggot is the next unwanted visitor, due next week.

Here is a link that might be useful: WVU apple pests

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 7:51AM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™