Keeping Birds out of Cherry Trees

jimmy56_gwMay 14, 2014

What does everybody use to keep those darn birds from stealing cherrys from your trees?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Netting is the only really effective solution.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 10:32PM
larry_gene

We net individual branches with sleeves of netting on a small tree--better than doing nothing.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 11:09PM
charlieboring

Has anyone tried using tin foil strips?

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 6:26AM
jimmy56_gw

Has anybody ever heard of or tried Bird Scare Flash Tape? Here's an article, http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-09/realestate/re-806_1_bird-scare-tape

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 9:23AM
iowajer

I think I'm with Fruitnut on this one. I've however never netted, but I've tried a lot of other things, including tin foil, and they just get used to it (at least these country birds do...)

But because I do live out, I can blast music from dawn to dusk and that has been fairly effective for me. (That gets old even for me over the course of a cherry harvest...)

I've been tempted to try one of the owls with a moving head, or something that is motion sensitive. But the ol plastic owl that you fill with rocks is a huge waste of $8. That has an impact for maybe a day and then they're onto it.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 2:29PM
letsski

I only have 5 Cherry trees, but have found netting to be the only solution. I've tried fake owls, bird flash tape, motion sensor scarecrows, but all have failed.

Netting works well, but you must keep the netting suspended from the tree, otherwise the birds will peck through to what they can reach.

A word of caution - plastic bird netting is horrible stuff.. it gets caught on everything. My wife calls it the annual swearing at the netting season.

Good luck

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 4:13PM
mrsg47(7)

Just returned from Home Depot and purchased two rolls of white netting that is not transparent. It is a little matte but will definitely keep the birds off of my cherries and plums. Each roll is forty by fifteen feet wide and will easily cover four or five trees. It is a knitted white mesh that will not easily tangle, like nasty 'bird X'. The latter is horrible netting. The name of what I am using is called 'Anti-bird knitted netting'. Mrs. G

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 5:43PM
jimmy56_gw

MrsG47, I was checking Home Depot web site and I can't seem to find that, Would that happen to be an in store only product.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 8:07PM
cold_weather_is_evil(9)

Get one of these.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 8:13PM
mrsg47(7)

Jimmy, you can find it on ebay too. It is half the price at HD than it is on ebay. It is call Commerical Knitted Anti-Bird Netting. Thats all I can tell you. Works like a charm! Mrs. G

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 8:13PM
jimmy56_gw

Found the netting on Ebay but it was AU and UK websites,Guess I will have to go with the BirdX stuff.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Early varieties of blackberry
Hi all, Are there any varieties of blackberry that...
CaraRose
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™