drip irrigation question

scaper_austinMay 9, 2012

OK I am growing several stone fruit trees in containers on drip irrigation. Twice now in the last two weeks I have noticed that my drip spikes have been acting like they are clogged or something and have only been dribbling out water when normally they are putting out a good spray. I cant explain why this is happening. I am using 1/2 inch black line then using 1/4inch micro tubing and a drip spike that spins out water 360 degrees and is adjustable and my system runs of a water spigot with a psi regulator run with a timer. When I noticed the problem both times I fiddled with the spikes and opened it up more and then it started working correctly. The problem is when the system is running I am not always here and Im afraid of disaster and I really dont want to have to adjust the spikes every day. This same setup worked perfectly all last year with no issue so I was surprised with two glitches in the last week or so. Anyone know what may cause this? Anyone know of anything to try and correct the problem? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scape

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melikeeatplants

You could have mineral deposits or debris clogging up the dripper.

I got rid of drippers for a lot of my plants and went to porous tubing instead. Just make sure no length is greater than 15ft (not a problem in pots) and partially bury/cover the tubing. Works great for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Porous Tubing

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 10:44PM
strobiculate

Obviously it appears you are getting some thing clogging the outlet. do you know the size of that aperture. a filter wohld remove rhe sediment, debris, whatever that is plugging the outlet.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 11:21PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

Bowsmith Emitter 2gph these want stop up I been using 1987 none every stop up out of about 20,000 Emitters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bowsmith Emitter

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 3:20AM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™