First real harvest of Blueberries

blueboy1977(TX9A/B)May 11, 2013

I've been getting one of those bowls every week since April but this week that all changed. I guess having more blueberries than you know what to do with is a good thing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve333_gw

Looks great. How many berry bushes is this harvest from, and how old are they?

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 10:31PM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

The long tub is close to 1/4 of the berries on a 4 year old. The rest are off of 8 one year old plants that were tiny last spring. Still a lot of fruit to pick but my back was getting tired!

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 11:11PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Good harvest:) It gets easier when the bushes get taller. My harvest is just about done but the Windsors have decided to rebloom.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:36AM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

We take that many berries and wash in running tap water lay out towels on dining table spread berries on towel about one hour they dry. Put in bags leave bag open at top set into freeze until freeze solid then close bag large thick paper bag. The berries dry want stick together in freezer.so dip out what want and wash again in tap water before cooking.
Blackberries same no washing before freezing just afterwards.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 10:16AM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Nice looking berries.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 1:53PM
sun-junkie(9)

Fantastic! That's a good problem to have Blue. I don't have to tell you how much $$$ they cost in the grocery store. Plus you know where they came from and who picked 'em. Can't wait for Climax crop, should be any day now

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 2:17PM
riverman1

That's great, you won't have trouble consuming those. I think I could easily consume more than 100 pounds each year.

RM

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 8:26PM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

Thanks for the replies guys!

Bam, do you wait untill the rebloom harvest is over before your summer prune? Im thinking that waiting untill the second flower fruit is picked would put us behind the 8 ball? Ya or nay? Last season my second bloom on Emerald was about 80 ruined by thrips so I just prunned them out once the main crop was done. I did get exceptional growth afterwards. Im thinking the second fruit wont be mature to pick untill late June/mid July?

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:12PM

Blueboy,

Because the berries were so early this year I have a lull. Normally I prune as soon as the harvest is over but that just encourages the plants to bloom early the following year so I will wait to prune till June 1. You are right that the new berries won't be ready till after that point so they get pruned off.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:44AM
treehugger101

Wow! That is a great harvest! Is there a good thread or link here on how to prune blueberries?

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:03AM

Treehugger,

I'm sure there is but bear in mind the pruning Blueboy and I are talking about you can't do. The summer pruning only works for us southern growers. You folks in the frozen north just don't have a long enough growing season and if you pruned after harvest you would not get any berries the next year.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:45AM
insteng

Nice blueberries. The late freeze got all the berries on my neighbors bushes I was planning on robbing until mine get big enough next year. He said he doesn't have a single berry this year. He said the commercial orchards up there said it will be their worst year ever because the strange weather this year. Only half my peaches trees have any fruit all my other trees which were loaded got caught in the late freeze.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 2:34PM
riverman1

Beautiful berries blueboy

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 11:09PM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

Thanks RM;) They taste as good as they look! Expecially the ones in the Cool Whip bowl. Those are Sweetcrisp. For mothers day I made my wife some garden fresh chocolate covered Strawberries and Sweetcrisp Blueberries. She said the chocolate covered blueberries were to die for and they were all gone before the strawberries got touched!

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™