bare root strawberry plants

leemom8(6)May 6, 2012

I ordered bare root strawberry plants, that arrived about 3 weeks ago, w/o instructions. I am quite green when it comes to strawberries, so 2 questions:

1) I was planning to plant them this week, so was reading up, and see I did much wrong, already... should have planted in April or at least should have refrigerated the plants. I didn't. So, at this point, should I give it a whirl, soak them, and plant them anyway, hoping for the best while expecting little? I planned to clip the buds anyway, for a better harvest next year. Or, should I chuck 'em, and try again in the fall?

2) I am planting in plastic bucket containers with good drainage. What medium should I use? Good screened mix topsoil with some sand and peat moss? Something else?

I know to dump the soil I used for tomatoes and peppers last year.

thanks for all positive input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitmaven.WIz5(5)

May as well try and plant them, you'll probably have some survive. I couldn't resist clearance bare root strawberries from the grocery store, and I'm having a 50% success rate with those (that have been sitting on a shelf for weeks). If you're planting in a container, always use potting mix. Garden soil compacts too much, from the constant watering. If they ate junebearing strawberries, by all means take off this years flowers. Overwinter the containers in the garage, perhaps, since the roots of plants are less hardy than other parts. If the strawberries are day-neutral or everbearing, just remove the flowers for a month or so, you can let them get a few berries at least. Good luck!

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™