Does anyone else trim ends off grape clusters?

2010champsbcsMay 23, 2014

Over the last 3 years I noticed that the grapes on the end of the cluster ripen later than the other part. I went out this morning and trimmed about 1/3 off each. What is your opinions on this. All replys are welcome, even the critical ones.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greendumb

I was taught to trim the tips off all my grape clusters.
I know it is beneficial to how they ripen on the vine somehow.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 8:22AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

It varies with cultivar. Flame has a very long cluster and is sort of hour glass shape. I trim off a large amount there, 40-50%. Summer Royal isn't as badly shaped and gets a smaller trimming. Princess only on a few clusters and crimson none.

The other reason is that some of those tip berries never ripen properly, less color and sour.

Instead of thinning off so many clusters I now leave more clusters that are trimmed.

On a few clusters I even trim off the tips of the upper "arms" of the cluster. Anywhere there's a concentration of berries on the end of a long arm.

I'm not sure if this will open up tight clusters or make the remaining cluster tighter. I'm hoping it will have no effect or open. I've only done tip pruning a couple yrs and on an intermittent basis so still learning.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 9:12AM
2010champsbcs

I watched carefully as the clusters bloomed this season, and also noticed that the end sections was the last to flower. So I'm guessing this has some bearing on the ripe date. My vineyard consist of one Mars almost seedless grape. I would like to add one or two more when I feel like I can do a good job taking care of the plants. Thanks for your guidance and to others that would like to to add to what has already been posted. Bill

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
plum truble
I have a gold plum tree aprox 5years old. It has always...
john zone 8
bees ignoring my plum blossoms
I stood and watched but never saw any bees on my Santa...
kittymoonbeam
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Fungus on grapes from last season?
Near the end of last season my grape plants got a fungus...
frdnicholas
pls recommend
Experienced Fruit Tree Growers, I suspect that all...
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™