fertilizer grape vines

walterupchurch(7)May 20, 2007

Has any one use liquid fertilizer like 20-20=20- i was thinking about useing it instead of 10 10 10 granual i can ues it thou my drip system .Iam haveing to water my vines a lot hear now we need rain.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jellyman(6/7VA)

Walter:

Is there some particular reason why you want to fertilize your grapevines? Grapes usually need little to no fertilizer to grow and produce well. I am sure that the 20-20-20 would be fine for your drip system, but I would not use it routinely on grapevines. You could get a lot of bushy, succulent growth, and not many grapes.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 2:29AM
walterupchurch(7)

don thank you for the respond the vines are new an weare not geting any rain to melt the fertilizer thay why i was ask about the 20-20-20-

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 10:07PM
husbear

Walter,
When I first started my grapes ( 10 years ago ) a friend of mine from Texas A&M told me in the first growing season to use a balanced liquid fertilizer every 14 to 30 days.
This allowed for strong root growth and healthy cane estabilishment. And discouraged fruit set to allow the vine to become established. After the first season I have applied a LITTLE granual in early spring.
I guess you have to ask yourself what is the priority for your grapes this season, trying for fruit set... or establish the vine for next season. In Houston, in late May we would have little hope of setting bunches at this late date. It may not be the case for your area.

It worked for myself, but every garden and gardener is different.
Hope it helps
Wade Warner Houston, TX

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 7:15AM
More Discussions
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™