Raspberry plants I inherited, need advice.

AH9200May 5, 2013

I inherited a bunch of raspberry plants along the fence in my backyard.

How do I care for them? And prune them? Will they come back year after year?

href="http://s1298.photobuck

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
galiana(5a NH)

They will not only come back year after year, but most likely they will spread vigorously if you don't keep them in check.

As for pruning, it greatly depends on whether your raspberry is primocane-fruiting or floricane-fruiting. I've linked to the Cornell extension's fact sheet, which will tell you what to do in either case.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry Pruning (Cornell Extension)

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

Raspberry canes live for 2 years, and for the most part, they only produce fruit the 2nd year. So at any given time, you will have 1st year canes just beginning the cycle, 2nd year canes that produce fruit, and older canes that are dead. The old dead wood should be removed immediately. The 2nd year canes should be thinned to 5-6 canes per foot, keeping the strongest ones that are within the row that you want to maintain. Dozens of others will probably need to be removed. But keep all the baby canes that start out sort of purple in spring then turn a brighter green. If they spread too far from your row you can prune them out but let the other babies grow. Raspberries spread underground like weeds. They will get all over the place if you let them. They are very vigorous, very hardy plants, difficult to kill. Even in shade or without much water or poor soil they will grow and spread like nothing else.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™