My Southern high bush âSharpblueâ Blueberry not growing.

itheweathermanJune 26, 2013

My Southern high bush âÂÂSharpblueâ Blueberry not growing.

I bought this bush from a big box store about a year ago. At that time, it was about þ foot tall, it had beautiful foliage, and it even produced about 4 blueberries. Then this winter when it went into dormancy my dog snapped about 90% of the plant. Spring came and it started to produce two shoots they grew well, but then it stopped growing.

I water it every two to three days; when I planted it I used organic matter; and it gets morning sun and afternoon shade.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yawiney

One of my Sharpblues died over winter from being too wet. The other 2 made it and I let them dry out considerably before watering this spring. Get a moisture meter for 10 bucks and just make sure it's not staying too wet. I'm a newbie at this but so far i've learned the hard way that it is easy for blues to get too wet especially with the peat and compost in my mix that retains water.
Hopefully somone more experienced will chime in.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 1:29AM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

That plant looks sick to me. Do you know the Ph of your soil? What kind of organic material did you use? Ph of your water? They are very easy to grow with the right water and soil Ph. Almost every problem associated with Blues is one or the other.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 8:49AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

That looks to be growing in ground. If so, that won't work in the high desert of CA because the soil pH is too high. You need to pot it up next winter. In the mean time study about pH and growing blueberries in pots. There are past posts here by the hundreds.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 9:23AM
ErikC

It's definitely a soil/water pH-related iron deficiency. Try potting it in a mix of 1/2 peat, 1/2 pine mulch and adding vinegar to your water and/or using rain water. If you're more daring, dilute sulphuric acid also works. If your native pH is much higher than 7, it's virtually impossible to get the soil acid enough for blues and keep there.

Bookmark   December 10, 2014 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Edwin Turlington
apple and cherry tree bark peeling
Is this a concern? Thanks in advance. Dan
Dan Liptak
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Edwin Turlington
Sponsored Products
Vig Furniture - Temptation Book Case in Leather - VGWCTEM-8S001
Great Furniture Deal
Artistic Weavers Hand-woven Utah Solid Jute Area Rug (2'3 x 8')
Overstock.com
Blast Zone Crocodile Isle Interactive Water Inflatable - INF-CIWP
$649.99 | Hayneedle
Priage Green Tea 10-inch Twin-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Kraus C-GV-580-12mm-15000ORB Copper Illusion Glass Vessel Sink and Ventus Faucet
$329.95 | Hayneedle
'My Mom' Hinged Frame
$9.99 | zulily
Stammer Giclee Glow Bronze Club Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Seedling by thomaspaul Hedge 14" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™