poor fruit set on 'Glenora' grape

kokopelli5aJune 15, 2012

Any thoughts on why my fruit set would be so bad? bunches were plenty, but with poor fruit set.

1. Vine is very happy--grows vigorously.

2. Vine is mature--7 years or so, and a full crop two years ago (freeze-out last year).

3. Grapes not really popular around here--I doubt there are serious pests. At least I don't notice any.

4. Fairly conservative with the fertilizer--kind of a light spadefull of cottonseed meal every year.

5. Modest pruning. pruned the vine back to six feet or so

6. No strange weather whatsoever during bloom. (if you could call what grapes do a bloom).

Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dan.NY

I am not sure what you mean by fruit set. Do you mean the clusters are there but they are oddly shaped or few berries within the clusters? Some images would help. FYI - grapes do bloom. They follow the same pattern as other fruits. You may have disease, which is a factor of climate and not a factor of how many vines are locally found.

Many pests are equal opportunity feeders and can ruin many plants. One such possible is the Rose Chafer. Are you in the midwest? I am not familiar with this pest myself but its supposed to be found in the midwest and affects a number of plants. Its one example of the fact that you dont need mass grape vine plantings to have pests.

If possible, an image would help.

Dan

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 9:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Renee48

How about the pollinating insects in your area. Bees, wasps etc. They are great pollinators, but some areas are having major bee collapses. This is only one thing that can lead to poor fruit set on grapes. If that is a problem try using a feather duster, lightly dust over the flowers, job done.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 8:47PM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™