grafting apple and pear to hawthorne

ThumbsterReidJune 6, 2013

anyone have advice about/experience with grafting apple and pear scions to hawthorn rootstock to share?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

A little alarm is going off for me on this one. Had you said quince I'd say it was worth a try, but I think hawthorne won't work. Still, why not try? Perhaps with the right interstem ... ?

Joe Real used to come up with some remarkable multi-species grafts, if you can find any of his old posts. Been a few years, though, and the search engine here can be frustrating. Scott Smith has seen delayed rejection sometimes, so it can be a long time before you know for sure. He might be able to tell you for sure.

I'd be interested in hearing the results if you give it a try. I did stick a prune onto Nanking cherry a few years ago, and it's still around. But that's a pretty close relationship, and I don't know if hawthorne is close enough to apples and pears, although apparently it is (to my surprise) a pome, albeit a single-seeded one.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 7:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

I've done a few pears on native cockspur hawthorn(C.crus-galli) understock, just for grins.
Have one surviving(other was fine, but was removed when my wife put in a tennis court) that's been in place for well over 10 years. Seems to be quite dwarfing - this last tree is only about 8 ft tall, and almost like one of those 'columnar' apples.
Have not needed to stake this one, but the other one exhibited significant difference scion/rootstock diameter - scion variety 3" diameter after a few years, rootstock only about 1", so I staked it...

Have not tried apple on hawthorn.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™