Crickets destroying my apple tree!

aliaubJune 1, 2014

Hi All,

Sorry if there is a posting similar to this, I tried searching but couldn't find anything...

I have a newly planted Anna apple (bareroot planted in January). It has been healthy and has looked great until about a month ago. The leaves started to get eaten by something. I sprayed it with a Neem oil solution several times to help. It has looked a little better until the last week. It is literally being eaten to shreds! I have been checking the tree several times a day looking for the culprit. Nothing. Tonight I decided to take a flashlight out to look at night and there is literally hundreds of crickets on the tree! They are eating away all the nearly dead leaves. I have a total of 9 new fruit trees in the same area but this is the only tree getting attacked. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, is there a good organic way to kill these things and revive my poor tree? I am getting diatomaceous earth next week to help kill them around the outside areas we have found them but I don't know how to keep them off the tree in the meantime...

Thank you so much for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jbraun_gw

An effective method for keeping insects out of trees is applying Tanglefoot. Something that comes up regularly to protect your tree from this product is to apply a couple of inches of tape underneath the Tanglefoot.

Good luck.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 8:25AM
aliaub

Thank you! I just searched Tanglefoot and it looks perfect! Thank you so much for taking the time to jelp me. hoping my little tree can still be saved!

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 10:40AM
serge94501

I'd Spinosad that tree just before sundown, then check out the carnage in the morning.

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 12:22AM
aliaub

Just ordered some Spinosad, serge. I'm going to use both! Hoping the Spinosad can help with my tomatoes and peppers which I found out last night they were also destroying! Thanks!

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
Beach Plum / Prunus Maritima Cultivation Questions
Hello all! I scarified a handful of seeds from beach...
liamkelly Zone 6b Rhode Island / 5b Massachusetts
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
First time tree planter, need pruning advice.
I know there some some people that say not to prune...
speedster1
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Sponsored Products
Jiminy Cricket Graduation Figurine
$24.99 | zulily
Cricket Accent Lamp by Robert Abbey
$129.80 | Lumens
Cricket Antique Brass Finish Plug-In Headboard Light
Lamps Plus
Cricket Console Table
| Italy Design
Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Limited Edition Serigraph
$129.99 | zulily