care of strawberry plants

gardeningmomma1June 24, 2012

I have two questions about caring for my strawberry plants. I have Chandler variety plants in a raised bed and a few in flower boxes. I live in zone 8a and planted them in March of this year.

First, someone at my local nursery mentioned that I will need to shade the plants to protect them from the heat over the summer and take the containers in during part of the day. (it consistently gets above 100 degrees in July and August here). Do I need to do this? I have looked around online and have been unable to find any information about this (ie how much shade for how long and at what temperatures?)

Second, the plants in the containers are starting to become pale in color. Other than the color, they look healthy. The plants in the raised beds look great. What does the change in color mean? What, if anything, should I do about it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I think your nursery gave good advice. Yellowing and not wilting, could mean too wet or a drainage problem. It could also mean you have not been fertilizing as required in a container. If you are thinking of providing shade cloth you will need at least 50% fabric rating. Al

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Wanted: Black Ice plum --) swap
Edit This post was edited by Gardening_Maestro on Tue,...
Gardening_Maestro
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™