Dwarf/semi dwarf cherry trees - tell me about them

princessgrace79(8 PNW)June 16, 2014

I have been thinking of planting a dwarf cherry tree after seeing a few around my area in yards. I'm not sure if I would be putting in a semi dwarf or if they make columnar style cherries like they do apple trees.

Does anyone grow them? Are they high maintenance? I'm zone 8, and my next door neighbor grows some cherry trees if pollinators is an issue.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosier318

I used to live in Tennessee and tried growing them there and didn't have any luck. I moved back to Indiana in 04 and live in the northern part of the sate. Have had some limited success here as they seem to like the cooler climates better. I do go to Eau Claire, MI every year to pick them, both the sweets and sours. the big thing I have found out about growing cherries is they seem to be more prone to diseases, pests, and weather. So far I have had only one year and that was last year (2013) that I got a small crop of cherries from my trees. My sour cherries (North Star and Montmorency) seem to be a little more hardy than the sweets (2 Rainer, Lapins, and a Windsor). Just my opinion and would like to see what others have to say about your post! This year with the harsh hard winter I didn't get any blooms, and then in their weakened state the aphids hit my sweet cherry trees and done some damage.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 6:28AM
More Discussions
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™