Help with IPM for Stone Fruits

treehugger101June 4, 2013

This is my first year for stone fruits. I feel overwhelmed by the array of products and combinations. Penn State and other University sites confuse me more as the list of products is more than I can wrap my head around. I have 16 trees (apricots, aprium, cherries, nectarines, fig, pear and plum). Can you recommend say, 4-6 insecticides, fungicides or combinations that are must haves in the arsenal?

I love the fungicide that needs a repeat application every two weeks and that insecticide every 7 days. Does this fungicide counteract that insecticide waiting for round 2?

And why do some sprays seem to leave out plums and apricots- Bonide Fruit Tree Spray for example.

Sorry for the long post. Is there a fruit tree growers Bible that would help me?

After my experience with the blueberries, I am very cautious.

Thanks once again.

Terri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

"And why do some sprays seem to leave out plums and apricots- Bonide Fruit Tree Spray for example. "

It contains sulfur, and I can't speak for plums, but "cots" don't like sulfur.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 7:54AM
treehugger101

Ah. So what kind of fungicide do you use for cots?

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 7:58AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

"Ah. So what kind of fungicide do you use for cots?"

Copper, and you can use Bonideî Citrus, Fruit & Nut Orchard Spray or Bonideî Fung-onil⢠Fungicide .
If you wish to use Bonide products. Most pros use other fungicides I think because of the low percentages of active ingredients in Bonide? Not sure? Seems like a decent company. I myself am still testing all these products for myself.
Monterey Fungi-Fighter is another I have seen used, but not sure if on cots? Also Spectracide.
Some of these may have the same active ingredients?
I would use at least 2 different fungicides, and where you can use them I would. where you cannot, use something else. Copper can be used on all, but best used in dormancy, but can be used at other times too.
Cooper is a must! It is also toxic to the soil (yet considered organic). I still use it anyway. It works!! Sulfur is also good, but not on cots.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 9:53

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 9:46AM
ltilton

Instead of product names, you should concentrate on the generic names of the active ingredients to know what you're really putting on your fruit.

The problem with the Bonide and Ortho products is that they're usually mixed with other stuff, and that's where problems can arise.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 12:11PM
treehugger101

Thanks, Drew51. That was really helpful.
ltilton, What kind of problems can arise from combination products?

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 1:01PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

"The problem with the Bonide and Ortho products is that they're usually mixed with other stuff,"

Exactly what you want in a preventative. They are not meant for treatment, except the oil mentioned. The Fruit tree spray and the orchard spray are to be used like copper, as a preventative.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™