tiny sharp worm/insect on mulberry?

johndoug(z6 Philly)June 13, 2007

i picked some mulberries this morning, and since it rained a lot last night, figured i could eat them without washing. i ate a bunch, then came in and ran water quick through them and put them on a white plate. a few minutes later, i go to the plate to eat some more, and i see all these tiny worms. they were so small they looked like specs of debris. they were thin and long like a worm, but sharp and flat, as opposed to what you'd think of a worm being round and fat.

just wondering if this is a common insect, and if it's ok i no doubt ate a bunch, and the best way to rid the fruit from them. it was too small to photograph.

thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I've had a similiar experience with mulberries. Think the insect in question on mine were thrips. Won't say they look like worms. So small they are hard to see. I just kept eating. If such things hurt us our species would have died off long ago...at least that's how I look at it.

The Fruitnut

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 1:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

I mainly have little ants(urinary hexapeds, we call them) on my mulberries. I used to brush/blow them off, but found that if you eat the berries, ants and all, that the ants add a 'minty, tingly' taste sensation to the already heavenly mulberry flavor.

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™