transplanted persimmon a goner?

nothwehrJune 1, 2013

I moved a persimmon tree from one spot in my yard to another about 9 days ago. I had moved small fruit trees before with success and thought if I chose a cool wet period it would be ok. Well, it started drooping within hours and hasn't really recovered (see pics). Some leaves have fallen off. However, the leaves on the lowest branches look ok. Afterwards I read about persimmons having a taproot and that they often don't do well when when transplanted.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this tree is a goner. I have another persimmon tree waiting in the wings to plant in this spot. My thinking is that even if the tree survives but is set back a year or two it would probably be worth replacing it now with a healthy tree. I would be interested to hear your opinions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nothwehr

Here's another pic...

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 7:17AM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

It is a natural reaction to being moved while it is growing. Would of course have been better to move it while it was dormant but I bet you know that:) My bet is it will survive if kept watered.....would do better if you could give it some shade but realize that is not easy to do.

Far as if you would be better off replacing it......roll the dice but I would give this tree a chance to recover.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 9:31AM
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Rhewhton,

Like you said, persimmon has a very deep tap root, but it is best to transplant it during dormant season. You are in zone 7, so anytime in the late fall or early spring before the tree leafed out. Your current tree still look green and stunted. You can put a shade cloth over it to protect it from the sun and just wait for a couple of weeks to see if the tree recovers from the transplant shock. Good luck.

Tony

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 9:39AM
nothwehr

OK, thanks for your advice. I guess my other question is whether it would make any sense to prune away the upper canopy of the tree. Maybe not since the tree is purging its own leaves as needed. Anyway, I'll think I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™