Peaches for canning

eboone_gwJune 30, 2013

What exactly makes a peach a good 'canning' variety?

I have noted that many peaches listed for canning are clingstone-why? Wouldn't that make the canning harder work?

Anyone with good canning variety recommendations for the NorthEast/PA?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Yes it makes more work. Freestone varieties are usually too soft to can well. They tend to fall apart when canned. Al

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 10:16AM
tomick

I'm in south central Pa. and have very good luck with Red Haven and Elberta. Both are yellow cling free. Can well and great fresh eating too.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:10PM
sautesmom

The first time I tasted a "canning variety" I was shocked to discover that the flavor was very different from that of fresh eating peaches. Canning peaches taste exactly the same fresh as the flavor they have right out of the can. Somehow I thought the canning process was what made that "canned peach" flavor--nope!

They are also very firm--you have to chew them, as opposed to fresh peaches, which you can squish against the top of your mouth. I assume that is what is meant by "melting texture" of fresh eating peaches.
I love both types!

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 8:04PM
eboone_gw

Thanks all for the replies
Would nectarines can well also due to their firm texture?

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 10:10PM
ltilton

I've tried it. They essentially melt.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 10:13PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Kinda off subject but on a garden podcast I heard Lovell used to be used as a canning peach, now it serves as a rootstock! So that is one rootstock that produces decent fruit! At least for canning!

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 12:10AM
charlieboring

This is a bit off topic. My grandmother used to can peaches to make "pickled peaches." She used small firm peaches which she peeled and stuck cloves in them, poured boiling sweetened venigar cut with water over them and then used the normal canning method before sealing. They were delicious.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 7:10AM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Nectarines are great for jam, and I've also canned, they do soften up a bit.. . Put a raspberry in for a nice blush.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 4:45PM
sandy_village

We've got an old 49-er Peach tree that has served us well...we make so much jam every year!! It's a tree I'm going to be grafting onto a baby tree this Spring just to insure I always have this fruit! Large, clingfree and YUMMY!

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 8:16AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

One of these days I'd like to plant a canning cling peach. A few years ago I thought that's what I planted with Baby Crawford, but it's a melting flesh freestone.

As Calistoga pointed out, freestone varieties are almost all melting flesh and turn very soft/mushy when canned. The only reason they are popular with home canners, is the ease of removing the flesh, as well as availability.

Superior texture is most of the reason non-melting cling peaches are used in commercial canneries. The other reason is that freestone pits tend to shatter in commercial pitting machines.

Not all cling peaches are canning peaches either. Most cling peaches (read all cling peaches) sold in farmer's markets in the Midwest are melting type and will can no better than freestone. The only reason they are cling is because they are an early variety.

Canning cling peaches are a different animal altogether and probably hard to find, since they are grown almost exclusively in CA and sold as a wholesale commodity.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 11:06AM
brookw_gw

The red fleshed Indian Cling is an excellent canning peach for us--quite attractive in the jar as well.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 1:55PM
fruitmaven_wiz5(5)

This is a wonderful discussion, as I love canning. I made peach jam this year with an unknown variety of freestone peach from Michigan. I'd love to hear others' experiences with canning peaches, as jam or as halved fruit.

I bought some "gourmet" peaches from Aldi last month that had a half-stick of cinnamon in the jar. Delicious!

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Any idea what's causing this on my blueberry?
A couple of the newer branches are turning black at...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Apple Pruning Advice
Can someone tell me if it would be a good idea to prune...
Dan Liptak
Haskap or Honeyberry?
I am in zone 6 in southern Illinois, so I get extreme...
flowerchild59
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Sponsored Products
Life is a Peach Personalized Framed Wall Decor - 24W x 18H in. - WAL-IFL-R-F
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Empire Oushak Rug 10' x 14' - PEACH/IVORY
$7,699.00 | Horchow
Wire Fruit Bowl in Black
| Dot & Bo
Embroidered Blue Floral Drum Lamp Shade 15x16x10.5 (Spider)
$79.98 | Lamps Plus
Romo Linara Azure Fabric (Sample)
$1.00 | Viesso
Kalina Bonded Leather Modern Sofa
Overstock.com
Meyda Tiffany Peaches Inverted Six-Light Pendant
LuxeDecor
Chic Home Ziggy Zag Peach 9-piece Dorm Room Bedding Set
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™