Grapevine spacing

cookie8(zone 5 ON)June 12, 2014

My husband put in six grapevines and they are probably 2-3 feet apart. I am reading that 5-6 feet is preferable. He says it is for privacy so it will not matter. I am thinking we are going to get a very ugly mess in a couple of years. Should I just move them. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

If you want fruit the wider spacing would be better. They can be grown like other fruits at a close spacing but pruning, spraying, and disease issues will be intense. I won't try 2-3ft in a humid climate if primary goal is fruit production.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 8:51AM
cookie8(zone 5 ON)

Thanks. I know he gets all excited when it starts bearing fruit so I am guessing that production and privacy are both an issue. I think one vine alone can provide a fair amount of privacy in due time. I didn't even think of disease.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:06AM
spartan-apple

Cookie:

I have 5 grapevines. Spacing will depend a bit on variety
vigor and pruning method. I raise mine using the 4 arm
kniffen system. My concord are spaced 8' apart and do grow together over the season. I prune them hard to about
50 buds each spring on the 4 arms.

I planted Canadice at 8' apart even though I heard this variety lacked vigor. Great table grape but it never filled in the space allotted. If I ever plant Canadice again, I would space at 6' apart.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 11:36AM
ChristyRocNY

Can anyone point me to information on planting/pruning/training grapevines for privacy AND production?
The low wires that I've mostly seen aren't going to provide much privacy, but I thought that was necessary to get fruit. If they'll work as a privacy screen, that may open up some new possibilities for grapes in my future!

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™