Summer Cleft Grafting

ahgrower HorneJune 17, 2014

Hi Everyone, I have one question. In summer, around July 15-8/15,(this is the recommended time for our area because of slipping in the branches) I want to try to attempt the cleft graft. I want to do it on a Burbank plum tree and I want to attach a limb from another compatible plum tree like the Santa Rosa. My question is: Do I have to use a scion from last year? Can I just take a limb off of the Santa Rosa and use that for the cleft graft without the freezer application of a scion? Is there any grafting that can be done from one fruit tree to another in the summer season without the scion going through the refrigeration process? Thanks all! I will consider and apply your suggestions. This will be my first time grafting...thanks so much!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimmy21

It won't work in the summer as the scion must be dormant. Look up bud grafting, budding, or t-budding. All the same thing and its done in the summer. Basically, instead of grafting a whole branch, you just cut off a tiny piece of bark with a bud cut a slit and put the bud in to the slit and then the bud will grow in to a new branch

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:59AM
ahgrower Horne

Thank ou so much jimmy21! I am going to do this with the utmost care and I will let you and all the others see the results. I appreciate this more than you will ever know. This is why I love, love, love this website. You guys are great! I feel like you are all my family in the garden!

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 9:53AM
Bradybb(wa8)

It also may not be best to freeze your dormant scions,ahgrower.Your second usage was right,by writing refrigeration process.Freezing could dry out the wood.33-40 degrees is optimal. Brady

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 11:44AM
ahgrower Horne

Yes Bradybb, I meant to use the term "refrigeration process" throughout the first paragraph! LOL. After reading the many messages on this website, I understand the process of storing scions and they should never never be frozen, just moist and not dry. Anyway, are the odds pretty good at successful summer grafting stone fruit trees like peaches and plums. I know that technique and experience gives a person greater success, but I was just wondering...

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™