New blueberry for up north

Noogy(6 sw mi)June 17, 2012

Hey now...

There's a new half-high mid-season blueberry available for y'all.

I also am reading that "Toro is hardier than Bluecrop, according to growers in central wisconsin", writes Degrandchamp from South Haven Mi.

http://fruit.cfans.umn.edu/blueberry/superior.htm

Has anyone tried Northblue HH?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windfall_rob(vt4)

Northblue has been a great bush for us, we have about a dozen. Consistent, heavy cropper, good flavor and size, have never had any winter damage.
seems to max out at about 1.5-2' for us, but fills in/spreads out with good density.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 2:47PM
northernmn(3/4)

Northblue is a very good cold climate bush. I agree with windfall rob that is a good cropper with very good flavor. My berry size is medium to small but I don't thin any out either. It is a short thickly branched, wide plant.

This past winter was unusual in that we had very little snow in northern MN. One Northblue and one other unknown bush were the only 2 that weren't damaged out of 33 blueberry bushes. The damage seems to have been caused by desiccation. Bluecrop had about 80% loss of all top growth and the StCloud, Chippewa, Polaris, and Friendship all had about 60% top damage.

Part of the reason that the one Northblue faired so well is that it is an older plant. Older wood seems to winter better. There were 3 younger Northblue that had about 30% top loss. All but one of the 33 plants are coming back strong.

I try to prevent this top loss by stopping all fertilizing by the end of June. Lots of time to harden off. Our winters tend to be long, cold and dry. Good snowfall is critical for our blueberries. Especially the younger plants.

At some point, I'll probably give Toro a try.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 9:07PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Thanks. I've been thinking about doing northblue in containers for peoples patios. I like the idea of leaving them outside in z6 in pots and I bet if kept out of the wind, they'd be OK.

Northern,
when is 1st freeze avg for you up there?

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™