White gold cherries red

ltiltonJune 11, 2013

My White Gold cherries are still small, a couple of weeks from ripe, but starting to take on color, and quite a few of them are downright red, well beyond blushed. This is vexing, as it's likely to attract the birds.

I figured at first that these fruits had probably been infested, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

This is the first time the tree has done this. I wonder if it could somehow be reverting back to a primal red cherry state?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Its related to the weather, some years they get more red than others.

Scott

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:12AM
ltilton

Well, our weather has been extraordinarily wet this year, if that's the cause.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 11:31AM
franktank232(z5 WI)

My sweets (all red types) are changing to a pink and falling off..i figure its lack of sun. Not much of a crop this year :(

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 4:21PM
ltilton

Not falling off so far, but signs of some pecking going on. Lots of scars but not seeing much in the way of larvae.

I expect as they get bigger, they'll start to split.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 4:51PM
mamuang_gw

cherries on my Black Gold and Vandalay are still small, a month away from picking but i've noticed many are turning red. Then, they dropped. No bug damage. They just turned red, stopped sizing up and dropped.

I also summer pruned, taking off some branches to get more sun in. The pruning helps birds spotting my cherries easier! Saw some bird bites on some cherries today. No win situation. I doubt if I would get any cherries this year.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:17PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Those small dropping fruits are the June drop on cherries. Some varieties seem to do more than others. Frank, maybe your trees have too little energy due to lack of sun so are self-thinning more than usual. My apples in the shade tend to self-thin a lot more and later in the season.

I just netted my Montmorency last night. Boy that was a pain, the tree is about 15' high now. At least I'll get some cherry pies this year.

Scott

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:16AM
ltilton

This over-coloring is making it hard to figure out when to pick them! I finally started today, as between the robin and the cracking, I'm losing more every day.

Next year, I'll have a decent net ready. I tried with the snaggy black one, but it was impossible.

But despite the PC scars, I've seen almost no larvae in the fruit. Using that acetamiprid appears to have done the job.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 8:42PM
mamuang_gw

We had several days of rain last week. After the rain stopped, I checked my cherries. As expected, Vandalay which has turned colored a week earlier than Black Gold has a lot of cracking (at least 50%). Black Gold is about 30% cracking.

It was dry over the weekend but rained again today. I don't know if I will have any non-cracking cherries left.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:35PM
ltilton

Into the jam pot with them!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:15PM
ltilton

Not-White Gold cherries

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™