How are pytrethroids on Japanese beetles?

alan haighJune 25, 2012

I hate having to come back so quickly after knocking out Japanese beetles with Sevin, so I'm thinking about tank mixing some Asana, a pyrethroid, with Sevin to increase duration. Maybe OP or someone else has some advice for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

Looks like they work:

link

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 10:15AM
alan haigh

Too bad, link no longer viable.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 11:42AM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Stupid thing! It said many of the pyrethroids had good control of Japanese beetle.

I've personally never tried it on beetles.

Good article that better work..
link

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 12:05PM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Hman,

Thankfully I've never had to deal with Japanese beetles so I don't have any hands on experience with them.

According to MSU, Imidan provides control for 10-14 days and pyrethroids 7-10 days.

Carbamates are also recommended with Sevin providing a week or more control (so they say, but that sounds overly optimistic) and Lannate providing only a few days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Managing Japanese beetles in fruit crops

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 2:23PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Harvest-

Do you see many of them in your area? I've killed about 50, but the last 2 days I haven't seen hardly any. My guess is all the ones I've killed are all locally hatched...maybe some migrants will move in.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 2:52PM
olympia_gardener(5)

There is a yellow bag sold at Menards catches Japanese beattles very effectively. They are very cheap too. At end of the season, the bag will be full of dead JBs. Better than chemicals.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 4:35PM
myk1(5 IL)

olympia_gardener,
Those traps draw new beetles in, some who in turn breed and lay eggs on your property and make your problem even worse. That's not better than chemicals.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 4:52PM
alan haigh

Olympia, I gave up on trapping 25 years ago. Only good if you plan to eat them- you could fill garbage cans with them here when they are epidemic.

I like my chemicals (when used responsibly) and consider the current public perception extremely naive. If you live in the west, you've no idea what people are up against east of the Mis. river.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0516032320983.html?22

If you are interested in what I consider a good discussion of the risks of agricultural pesticides, check this out.

Franktank, yes, they are showing up in my earlier spots and damaging grapes, so fruit trees not far behind I'm sure. A customer has already asked me to assasinate them.

Olpea, thanks. Maybe adding Asana wouldn't add much over Sevin XL plus. Don't want to use Imidan- trees too close to owners house.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
Goji Berries, where to buy seeds?
Hey, so this is my second year gardening, last year...
M3rc_Nate
Gophers killing apple trees... Help!
Gophers have killed 2 roses and one prized apple tree...
peteramu
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
What is happening to my Apple Tree? Fixes?
We purchased this tree and planted it a year ago. ...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™