Anyone growing Spring Satin plumcot?

rayrose(8)June 16, 2013

I'm thinking about trying Spring Satin plumcot next year, and would like to hear any experiences with it. Thanks for your help.

Ray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

I grew it. When I could get any fruit to set, it was delicious, but for the most part it simply wouldn't set, despite abundant plum blossoms nearby. I took it out.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 10:38AM
rayrose(8)

That's a bummer. I'm planning to do the same thing to 2 AU plums I have, and I'm trying to find something to fill their places.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 10:48AM
ltilton

I really wish it would have worked out. The taste is much better than plums.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 1:53PM
rayrose(8)

That's what I keep hearing. I don't understand the difference between plumcots and pluots, but I'm ordering some peach trees from the Fruit Tree Farm and they also have Spring Satin, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's the only one they carry, so I'll probably look at some pluots instead.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 7:28PM
ltilton

iirc, pluot is a registered trademark, plumcot is generic

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 8:34PM
blackrag(6A East PA)

I have 2. One is entering it's 2nd growing season and did not flower much, another it's 3rd and flowered quite a bit. The older one has about 10 pieces of fruit at the moment. The 2 trees are studs and train easier than my other "stones". Early yet, We'll see what happens. Chad

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 12:57AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

It takes a year or two more than a usual plum to start producing. I now get a good fruit set on it. One year I didn't thin enough and the fruits were not so tasty, but if the thinning is heavy the taste is very good, similar to the standard red pluot flavor.

Scott

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 8:13PM
garedneck

I purchased the starkbros dwarf spring satin plumcot along with their aprium, apricot and starkrimson plum. The purple fruit in the picture is about 1/2 the plumcots from the tree last year. They have a somewhat tart skin, but the flesh is juicy and sweet and are absolutely delicious. I freeze many plumcots and eat them in the winter and it seems the flavor is intensified. The birds love them and thus have to net the tree or put the green drawstring tule bags around the fruit. I just started harvesting this years crop and each year it has heavy fruit set so i thin the fruit.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:40PM
rayrose(8)

garedneck, how old is your spring satin? and how many years did it take before it started to produce for you.
Ray

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:26AM
garedneck

Planted in the Spring of 2009 (bare root) started producing in 2011. This dwarf tree is about 8 feet tall and 8 feet in diameter with extremely heavy fruit set which i thin each spring.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:26PM
rayrose(8)

That's pretty big for a dwarf.
Do you think it produced that quickly because it's a dwarf and not semi or standard?
Thanks Ray

This post was edited by rayrose on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 22:28

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 10:25PM
itheweatherman

Is Spring Satin plumcot a 50-50 cross?

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 12:17AM
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Yes,

Tony

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 6:11AM
schiba(5b)

Just planted this one. I am a little worried that the blooms may be affected by the frost in a week. *sigh

It is a three year old tree and sits about 6' high. Cannot wait to taste the fruit. I suppose I should remove the fruit so she develops structure, but I will be tempted to leave it on if I get any.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™