Droopy Avocado

lrn2groJune 17, 2013

Hey everyone,
I have been growing an avocado from a pit for about 6 months now and it is probably around a foot tall. However all of the leaves are drooping and sort of wrinkling and curling in. Any suggestions on what could be the reason? I figure it has something to do with overwatering. I am not totally sure how the watering schedule has been since my mother was taking care of it while I was gone for a month.
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdelafuente(9)

Hi there,

I am still new to the avocado so I am a novice. When I first bought mine, i was having the same issue. Drooping and dropping leaves. It needed sunlight and less watering. I learned that they need to be in a watering schedule. Mine is in the ground and my soil is heavy clay and I water it once a week with a soaker hose until it can't hold no more.

We do need more info.

I don't know where your location? Is it in a pot or on the ground? Have you fertilized? If so, what fertilizer are you using? How often do you water it? How much sun do it get? What kind of avocado is it? Can we get some pics?

Thanks,
Sal

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 3:12PM
lrn2gro

Thanks for responding Sal. So I am in Michigan, and it is in a pot. I haven't fertilized it and I keep the soil moist. It sits in a west window, so it gets some sunlight most of the day and then direct sunlight for a couple hours in the evening. I don't know what kind of avocado it is since it was just from one a bought at the grocery. I'll try and get some pics uploaded

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:38PM
campv

Avo's don't do well inside or in pots. They don't take cold at all. Michigan would not be a good place for an avocado. Might end up being a nice indoor plant but it won't fruit.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 3:08PM
lrn2gro

campv - I am not really sure the point of your comment? I am not sure what you think of Michigan, but it is regularly in the 80s and higher from now until September. Yes the winters can be cold, but I am equipped with heat and grow lights. I understand that it probably won't grow fruit and went into this project knowing that. As far as them not doing well in pots/indoors, I have found several blogs/websites that have discussed successfully growing avocados indoors in pots. More constructive criticisms would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 12:01PM
lrn2gro

here is a picture of it

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 12:05PM
sdelafuente(9)

I would say that it needs some fertilizer and sun. I was told that you have to fertilize them in Feb. and June. I use Ultragreen Citrus & Avocado Food and compost, but my tree is in the ground so the instruction would be different. Mine right now has alot of new leaves. It actually is loaded with alot of leaves, some are sunburn (Texas heat is tough). I will post a pic of mine later on today.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 12:48PM
sdelafuente(9)

Here my avocado. Its about 4 feet tall.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™