Cedar Apple Rust?

pitcom(7a)June 1, 2012

I did some searching on this site and I am pretty sure that this is CAR. I just planted 10 apple trees this year. and they have been growing great. However we had some very heavy rains for about 5 days straight and the leaves now have all of these spots on them.

Is this Cedar Apple Rust? About 10-15% of the leaves on every tree has them. If so can someone recommend an organic spray? I see Stark brothers sells a sulfur spray. Anyone use it? Any feedback? Thanks a bunch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Yes this looks like CAR. There is no good organic spray and you are too late anyway. Spraying sulphur at the point of initial infection (roughly a month ago) next year will help.

The primary organic cure involves a chain saw, chop down the nearby junipers. I had to remove a beautiful 50' juniper to deal with a CAR explosion.

If your infection level is low it is really just a cosmetic issue. I have a few highly susceptible apples which would get totally spotted but still produced a good crop. Fruits will get it in a severe infection and at that point you have to chop down more junipers or remove apples that are not highly resistant.

Scott

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 11:11AM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I don't even bother with it. Some apples aren't bothered by it much. I see some leaves out there on my trees with it and its no big deal.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 11:23AM
ltilton

Yep, that's it. It's usually more of a problem for the leaves than the fruits, which you don't have anyway this year.

Just take this as a warning to do preventative spraying in the spring.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™