Fruting in New Blueberry plants

yaso(8a)June 9, 2013

This year I got 3 new Blueberry plants Climax and Sunshine in 1G containers and Premier in 10G container. Another one Brightwell in 10G was given to me by a friend who got it last winter (2012), it was the only one in his patio and may not have had good pollination

When I got the Blues from a local nursery and Lowes, all of them had tons of flowers but now i see less than 5 matured berries in each of the blues, I do understand that not all flowers turn in to fruits and it is possible for the plants to shed flowers in their initial years but I expected at least 30-40 berries in each plants. Also going thru the forum I realized that it is better not to allow the plants to have fruits in the first year to help establish the plants.

Is the flowering season over for my blues Premier, Brightwell, Climax & Sunshine or would they again flower before fall. Also, how does the Blues fruit in the second year. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Fruit production is in direct proportion to health and growth. The more limbs you have the more fruit you will get but that is not always a good thing as BB tend to over produce which is bad for the plants.

Some BB do create flowers toward fall but the berries never get very good and I just pinch them off. It is a sign the plants are doing well ( IMHO). Not all varieties produce the fall flowers.

Basically just do all you can to make the plants put on a lot of good vigorous growth.

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
Thinning Pears
I have several varieties of pear trees (Bartlett, Comics,...
walterdavidwilson
November Vole Damage
Voles have attacked my apple trees. A few of them are...
tedgrowsit
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Sponsored Products
Romano 5-foot Indoor/ Outdoor Boxwood Spiral Topiary Tree
Overstock.com
Pink Ikebana Plant Holder
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Vineyard Cast Iron Hanging Plant Bracket - Black Powdercoat
Signature Hardware
Yellow Tulip Arrangement
$9.99 | zulily
Vickerman 4 ft. Capensia Silk Bush - TBU0340-06
$44.99 | Hayneedle