fuyu persimmon - bad shape?

thomis(7)June 5, 2013

Well, I've managed to neglect my fuyu persimmon tree, unfortunately. I've been so tied up with apples and other gardening tasks..
Looks like it has two central leaders, I know that would be a bad thing for apples but should I eliminate one on the fuyu? And do fuyu's get summer-pruned like stone fruits?

Here's a pic:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlieboring

I couldn't see the picture. I also have a Fuyu. I prune it during the late winter and I try not to prune an excessive amount. It seems to work. The only year that I pruned a large amount, all of my fruit dropped. The next year it had a medium amount of fruit.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 12:31PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

You could cut one side off. That's probably best in the long run. But persimmon are pretty strong trees, or so I've read. My trees have never been loaded enough to test the strength of limbs.

You could also tie the two sides together with a non abrasive material. Just enough to limit the spreading of that crotch.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 12:44PM
thomis(7)

Okay, thanks. I think I'll watch it this year and see how it does. I have to say, I am truly impressed with this tree. I planted it February 2011. It took off like a rocket and I pinched all the blossoms off the first year. Last year I allowed it to produce about 6 persimmons to maturity. This year I picked off and filled up a gallon bucket with nickel sized persimmons. There are still about 50 young persimmons on the tree. I'm impressed. I think it likes my soil ;)

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™