Blueberries

C-BUSOHJune 19, 2013

I just planted a blueberry bush in the ground with a mixture of peat moss, pine needles, and the dirt that was already there. Then i sprinkled some aluminum sulfate around. Should the plant do just fine?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

do you mean ammonia sulfate? If so, hopefully not too much. It can burn a new plant. Other than that....you should be fine. You get better pollination with a second variety close by. goodluck ps- there are many more knowledgeable people than me on blueberries here...you might read the old posts

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 9:59AM
C-BUSOH

It was aluminum sulfate and i didn't put down a lot. Also i plan to get another blueberry bush if this one does ok. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 10:53AM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

I don't like aluminum sulfate. I would have amended with some pine bark fines as well. It all depends on what your native soil PH is and what your irrigation water is like.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 11:23AM
C-BUSOH

where should I look for pine bark fines because i couldn't find them anywhere. and i water it with rain water because we have a rain barrel. Also i was wondering how old it is. It is about 3 to 3 1/2 ft tall and has 2 canes growing out of the ground as well has a few blueberries on it.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 12:10PM
TheDerek

I see a lot of people recommend pine bark, but where Im located you can buy shredded wood for mulch, but most isnt pine. Is there any reason not to use random shredded wood in place of pine?

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 12:39PM
rayrose(8)

You can find good fine shredded pine bark mulch at Lpwes.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 6:16PM
fireduck(10a)

several questions answered here....1. pine and fir bark are acidic by nature. These sour the soil (acidify)...which blueberries like. 2. shredded wood is not the same, and breaks down faster than bark 3. C...I think you are going to be fine with what you did. You can fertilize later with MiracleGro for azaleas (acidic). There are more learned bb growers on here...but I know the basics. I can tell you have done some research.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:41PM
C-BUSOH

Thanks everyone for your help. Also should a new cane come up from the ground every year?

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:46PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Finding the fines can be tough or easy depending on where you live. In the east Walmarts sell them, purple bag just called pine mulch. Out west it is very hard to find them.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™