The Musk Strawberry

drew51 SE MI Z5b/6aJune 10, 2014

I has some of these last year. Raintree forgot to send the male i ordered, so I had no fruit! In the fall I ordered 2 different male cultivars. 2 of each from the Strawberry Store. This year fruit is developing, guess it worked? Although I'm not sure what plants are the male anymore? Strange berries, they have a metalic red color
Notice the achenes are red too! Fruit is rather small, just slightly bigger than alpines.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
berry_bob

how do they taste ?

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 9:43PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

"how do they taste ?"

The one pictured was the first ripe berry. My best friend has been in the hospital for 11 days battling a very serious infection, even needed chest tubes. I gave it to him. I have yet to taste one. It smells like alpines. My friend said it has a distinct taste. But he never has tasted alpines. Many really like them. So waiting for others to ripen to give it a try.
My friend is doing well and will be out in a few days.

I tasted ground cherries for the first time this year. They taste sort of like a tomato except it was the sweetest tomato I ever ate. Quite good! I will be growing them from now on.
Interesting plant, here is one of two I have growing.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 7:37AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I had a chance to taste these. I got about 20 of them ripe. They taste like alpine, except the wild flavor is more intense. And they have a creamy texture. I would say they are excellent!! Production is a little low compared to other berries, but it's not that bad. My strawberries are so crowed I threw out 3 musk strawberry plants with unripened berries today. I need to give what's left some space. They still look crowded i will remove more in the future. I'm getting 3 or 4 musk strawberries a day, that's enough.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 7:09PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™