Concord Grapes

mrsg47(7)June 12, 2013

This is the first year (after four years of growing) that I have tiny, pollinated clusters of Concord grapes. Since I've only had leaves in the past, how can I best protect them? The vine grows like weed, and this year has tons more sun (due to cutting back privet). Can I use my triaz. mixture on them? Thanks, Mrs. G

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lawanddisorder(6)

Mrs. G., How big are your grapes? I have concord grapes and mine have grape clusters for the first time, too. But I was at a nursery yesterday and they were selling concord grape vines that were covered in grape clusters and the grapes were the size of small marbles already. Mine are like the size of the tip of a ball point pen right now. Are yours similar in size?

I'm worried mine might not be getting sufficient sunlight or if I should have fertilized them already or something.

Hopefully the ones at the nursery just got shipped in from somewhere warmer where the grapes got a head start...

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 11:27AM
mrsg47(7)

Mine are the size of yours; they should be. We are surrounded by vineyards and their grapes (wine grapes) are the same as ours. I do believe nurseries sell more fruit trees and vines if there is noticeable fruit on the branch! Mrs. G

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:10PM
ltilton

Yes, they use hormones on them to induce fruiting.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™