First year bkack raspberry problem

guatejoJune 21, 2013

I have 12 black raspberry plants all with vigorous growth and all but one with great berry production. That one has good growth for next year but the berries are strangely formed or not formed. My question is, should I pull it up and replant or leave it for next year. I lean toward leaving it for next year but not liking the thought of wasted space for a defective plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drewbym(MO6B)

Is it the same variety as the others? Are they in the same row? How close is it to the others? Does it get the same amount of water and sun?

If it is basically the same as the others in every way (variety, location, sun, water, etc) then I'd suspect something is wrong with the plant.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 11:54AM
larry_gene

Out of a group of caneberry plants, one can be strange. Perhaps it was shaded unlike the others, or its blooms got repeatedly wet unlike the others, or it is just strange.

One more year would prove it out. Would you replace it with another black-cap?

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 10:28PM
guatejo

These are all Black Hawk but I'd like to try Allen also. They are all in the same patch so they all get the same sun and rain, But last year after planting, some had an easier time than others so this year some are bigger than others. they are now catching up with each other for next years crop. They're still green and hopefully will ripen some time next month.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 6:42AM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™