veary unhappy pomegranate

john222-gg(Mississippi 8a/8b)June 27, 2012

I don't know how to fertilize or tend pomegranate.I live in Mississippi there are pomegranates growing right near me that look grate.Mine looks so bad I am ashamed to have a plant that looks so bad all help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vieja_gw(z7NM)

I grew two pomegranates from the seed of a store-bought one almost 45 years ago.... think it must have been the 'Wonderful' variety. During a minus 17 degrees one winter they died back to the ground but grew back up again from the roots & bear every year. They are on a west side of an aluminum shed (lots of hot sun!) & get only the water from an adjoining lawn & nothing else. Just now I see some flowers appearing & though the flowers come over a long period it amazes me that they ALL ripen at the same time! I live at a mile high altitude in a very DRY climate with cold winters. From your posting I guess they must also grow well in the more humid south too.! Wonder if yours is still young yet or do the leaves still have the glossy green/pinkish color? I haven't heard of any diseases that affect the 'pomes here & it has been only in the past few years that I have seen quite a few bearing ones other than mine which may have been the first.

A beautiful (but thorny!) carefree bush here that seems to also like the area where I now have a fig 'tree' (bush) that has survived many a freezing winter also. Hope your 'pome recovers in time for some blossoms!

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 11:00AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

scuff up and remove all the grass under the tree canopy and put composted wood mulch down. That grass is stealing too much water and nutrients from your young tree. Fertilization is less important than reducing competition but a small amount of fertilizer would also be good, say one cup of 10-10-10.

Scott

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 7:00PM
john222-gg(Mississippi 8a/8b)

Scott, I thank you for the info I will remove the grass but I can't use wood mulch I have bad bad problems with black ants, they love wood mulch.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 9:23PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Maybe use compost instead? Or just use rocks, anything to keep the weeds from coming back.

Scott

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
Methusala date palm reproduces
Judean date http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/tree-grown-2000-year-old-seed-has-reproduced-180954746/?utm_source=facebook.com&no-ist...
canadianplant
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
Should i go ahead and put my newly grafted pear trees in the sun?
I did 4 cleft grafts last weekend and they have been...
tlbean2004
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™