Can you Sweat a Tree That's Already in the Ground?

edlincoln(6A)June 25, 2014

In April I planted some American Persimmon trees I got from the county soil conservation office. There is still green beneath the bark but no buds. Since then I heard that bare root persimmon sometimes need to be "sweated".

Is there any way to do this after the tree has been planted? With Tree Tubes and a plastic bag? Any fertilizers or hormones that encourage trees to break dormancy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Never heard of sweating. Just be careful you don't cook the tree. Anything over 100F is unlikely to be healthly or helpful.

Persimmon are slow to leaf out especially after planting. Sometimes not until summer or later.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 11:53AM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I received a Smith from JF&E and it's just beginning to leaf out now. I hope this is not the case every year because it will need to go dormant before it even gets going.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 12:47PM
edlincoln(6A)

Bare root trees always take longer to leaf out the first year.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 1:22PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Seems very late. I ordered some very late trees (bare root) ..some came only a few weeks ago, but even those have started sending out shoots all over.

Sounds dead, but who knows.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 7:19PM
mamuang_gw

Not all bare root take long to leaf out the first year. In my experience, most of my trees leave out in a few weeks.

Not Nikita's Gift persimmon I planted bare root on April 14, this year. It took almost two months to bud out. Now it's late June, there are 3 small shoots with some leaves. Don't think the leaves are fully open, either.

I've heard that persimmon takes much longer time than most other fruit trees. It's true to me.

I planted it, mulched, and water it if no rain for a week, just like other trees.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 8:42PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

The Smith I received last fall was not bare root. I up-potted and kept it in my garage with my figs. I hope this years slow start is an anomaly. After thinking it was dead though, seeing little green sprouts made me very happy.

You've got nothing to lose by giving it some more time, but I would be hesitant to "sweat" it. If it doesn't make it you won't be sure if it was the sweating or not that did it in.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 2:25AM
More Discussions
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™