damage to apple tree trunk/bark, what do I do?

mocknbird(MoCo, MD (6B))June 23, 2012

This is why I mow my own lawn. For the first time ever, I had somebody else mow. He used a weedwacker on my 3 year old Arkansas Black that I had been nursing along. He chewed out a square patch of bark, about 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches about 3 inches above where the tree meets the ground.

What do I do? Can I do anything to help this tree survive?

Will this be a fatal injury? thanks, Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I know what you mean,..new house owners next to me did the same thing on a tree, [one of mine] had to educate them.

As long you have some remaining bark left you should be OK.
What I do in a case like this, cut off all loose bark and seal with Dr. Farwell's heal & seal, prevents from drying and cracking, it takes several years to grow together.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 1:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myk1(5 IL)

Hard to say from the unknown size of the tree how much 1.5" is but going by my 3 year old trees I would say it will be fine on its own. I think even my 3 year old dwarf tree could deal with 1.5". But that would be enough to plan on replacing my 2 year old dwarf grafts.

My roommate is good about weed eating trees to death. It's only a whack here and there (except for the new tree that he debarked clear around once), but a little bit every week for 6 months adds up. It took a lot of yelling to get him to stop weed eating the trees at all.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™