Apple eating insect

Alfred7737June 12, 2014

What insect/beetle is eating my apple fruit? It is burnished brown, 3/8 inch long 1/8 inch body wide, which tapers down to the head at about 1/16th of an inch. Male and female congregate in and around the apple fruit and chew holes into it. They also eat the leaves.
If you know what it is and what can be used to treat the infestation, that would be a most wonderful response! Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
valgor(4b, WI)

a pic would be most helpful, but i have had problems with rose chafers in the past and this sounds somewhat like them. Run a search for 'rose chafer infestation', as i have posted pics and see if this is what you have. If so Carabaryl has worked well for me. The invasion lasts about a week and a half before petering out (in my area at least).

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 7:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

It sounds like a beetle of some sort; apply beetle treatment. I had some small beetles about that size on my young apples. My treatment was I would go out at night when they were most active and smoosh by hand. I occasionally see them now that the trees are older but they don't cause appreciable damage anymore.

Scott

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™