Blueberry fertilizer - organic?

dgreenhouse2014June 13, 2014

Im wondering if my blueberry highbushes (planted last year) need some kind of fertilizer. See the picture, some of the leaves seem to be yellowing with visible veins. is that normal??

thanks to all suggestions

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I'd say that's more likely a high pH issue than lack of nitrogen. Your plant looks good and has a nice crop of large berries. So I won't be too concerned.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 12:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

Agricultural sulfur, scattered around the shrub, over the soil, but under the mulch, will help lower pH, and the leaves should green up, eventually. Sulfur is approved as a soil amendment by Congress, in the Organic Foods Act, which was passed around 1990. So, in that legal sense, sulfur is "organic." However, no one who has studied chemistry, and managed to stay awake during the morning lectures, would ever describe sulfur as an organic chemical. There is no carbon in the formula. To be successful with blueberry shrubs, most of us are having to check soil pH, and also water pH. Rainwater is generally acidic, but water from a well could be alkaline, and this will eventually raise soil pH, if it is used to water the blueberry shrubs.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Need help choosing dwarf fruit trees.
These trees will be planted at my own Indianapolis...
URES
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™