Help ID possible apple tree disease

fern1knitsJune 20, 2013

About a month ago, I saw these $10 clearance apple trees at Walmart and decided to get a pair. I know that I planted them a little late in the season and I know that the remaining clearance apple trees at Walmart were probably not the highest quality specimens, but I thought I'd give them a try. Both trees are for Gala, and I know it would have been better to get two distinct varieties, but the pickin's were slim.

I have very poor quality clay soil that does not have good drainage and is nutrient deficient. I mixed in some compost (from my own compost pile) when planting along with some organic fruit tree fertilizer (though, I might not have gotten the mixture right, as I am a novice).

On one of them, most of the leaves are developing this orange-brown rusty appearance and I'm just not sure if this is a nutrition or water issue, or a disease. I've been looking at pictures of diseased and problem leaves, trying to diagnose it myself, but I'm just such a novice that I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

This post was edited by fern1knits on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 12:21

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fern1knits

That first photo is of the front of the leaf and this one is of the back.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 12:20PM
valgor(4b, WI)

Is the whole tree like this? Did it start from the leaf edges and work inward? Did leaves show signs of this when u bought the trees? Have you sprayed trees with pesticides? Watered in midday? Lots of possibilities, but looks like maybe they are getting burned from overfertilizing...

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 4:55PM
fern1knits

It started out as just a few leaves, but now most of them are like this. I'm not exactly sure, but I do think that it started on the outer edges of the leaves and has worked inward. I have not sprayed the trees with anything and they did not look like this when I bought them. It's possible that I've overfertilized... Really, with me, any mistake is possible.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 6:21PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Not a disease. Not a nutrition issue.

Instead, roots aren't keeping up w/ the top's demands. So water isn't getting up to the leaves.

Perhaps temporary shade would help.
Perhaps soil too wet?

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 1:50AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I agree with Jean, get them some shade -- they were probably out of the sun at the nursery and had too quick a transition to strong sun. If there are good leaves left put up a shade cloth.

Scott

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 8:20AM
fern1knits

Okay, thank you for the feedback. The tree has definitely been exposed to some very suddenly hot temps and scorching sun.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™