Dried up Blueberries? What happened?

Schlemoc(5)June 15, 2012

I have a variety of blueberry bushes at the new house and many are producing a large quantity, but there are some that are entirely dry like the photo below. Any ideas as to why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

Google up info on 'mummy berry disease of blueberries'.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 3:24PM
Schlemoc(5)

I just read up on it. Makes perfect sense given what is showing on all my bushes. There is no mulch around them, but once I get the house liveable, sometime next year the yard will be my focus. I'll be sure to get some heavy duty mulch and saw dust down to minimize them. Thanks for the help!

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 11:14AM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

Check out Blueberry Botrytis Blossom Blight in google. I had some on my SHB from all the rain we recieved in the spring. Cool wet springs are the culprit.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 7:17AM
riverman1

Blueboy may be right about this one.....

I live on the east side of Washington which is typically dry. However, area growers had quite a bit of botrytis this spring and for the first time ever had to spray a fungicide to deal with it. Apparently it is very common on the west side of Oregon/Washington because of all the rain so they often have to spray several times each spring to deal with it.

When you water, make sure you water at the base of the plant.......don't use an overhead sprinkler.

RM

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 10:52AM
Schlemoc(5)

I'll have to take a look at the two to determine which it is. Either way, there is no mulch around any of my bushes/trees. I have some serious mulching ahead of me, once I get the house habitable.

How far apart should I keep the blueberry bushes? There are gaps where I think I can put another one.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 4:39PM
Bradybb(wa8)

Schlemoc,
There's always space for another one LOL.It really depends on the mature size of the plant.Some stay under two feet,while others can get over eight.
Probably three to five feet apart,unless making a hedge,then possibly two to three. Brady

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 10:31PM
Schlemoc(5)

I was considering making a hedge. What do you suggest using to keep the grass down around the bushes? I weedwhacked around them the other day, but there is still some very high grass within the structures growing up. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™